December 20, 2005

I'm a Sweater-shirt!

There are as many kinds of women as they are outfits for those women.

I've determined that I am a sweater-shirt. Not to be confused with a Sweatshirt!!!! That's a white collar stitched into a black sweater with tails of white shirt peeking out the bottom--if you can picture it. My choice speaks to my age--I'm young but not naive, flirty but professional. The two materials and colors set a texture and tone that's complicated but not overly so. Plus this alternate analogy beats being likened to a smelly onion with lip service to the layers therein. Though I'm worried this makes me sound a bit Elle Wooods (yes, legally blonde references are not at all beneath me!).

To take this further, let me explain my tea girls.

Jo would be a classic black pantsuit. Always professional. No frills, no fuss...reliable but with panache. A woman in a man's world, no exceptions needed. Many pieces to put it together and you never see what's beneath the layer she shows you...private but in a public way.

Lauren's a pair of wrinkle-free chinos. Comfortable, honest, convenient, low-maintenance, and appropriate for any occassion.

Karen would be a dry-clean only twin-set. You can dress it up or down. Depending on the weather you can leave the sweater on or peel it off. Just because she multi-tasks doesn't mean she's easy, so you will be paying long after purchase for dry-cleaning.

Kelli is a sparkly, evening halter. She's trendy, she's fun, but she's also smart and comfortable. Hand wash only. Not right for day wear but your nights wouldn't be the same without her.

Beth is a classic tee. Soft, comforting, machine wash, and though it may not be work appropriate, you'll be so at ease you won't care that your boss is glowering at you.

There are many nuances to being a woman, a wardrobe analogy seemed only appropriate. I came up with this whilst riding the bus home across town yesterday. There were two jean-clad teenagers discussing the requisite angsty drivel and it hit me--they were dressed as they are--innerpropriate (what you see is all there was to them). Thanks girls for the inspiration.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what's wrong with sparkly for day wear?! totally unfair prejudice, i try to work sparkly into my everyday sweater-shirt attire as much as possible. :-)