December 3, 2005

The Puppy Couple

Last night at 8pm, when I left my office it wasn't twilight that greeted me or even the flourescent lights that illuminate Times Square--just grey light. Wall St. was cloaked in an eerie mist--nothing like the fog in San Fran--the silence was foreboding.

I was late for my first couple date with Carrie (my sorority big sis) and her live-in boyfriend. Carrie and I spent an awesome year as roomies in college and with the possible exception of Ditha, she was the best home-panion. We drank champagne, ordered pizza, and caught up--it was just like living together--we hadn't missed a beat. She recently moved to the Financial District from the Upper East Side with her boyfriend. I hardly saw her when she was just 20 blocks away, but I think I'm going to see a whole lot more of her, now that she is just two blocks from my office.

Carrie has two yorkshire terriers, one is seven months old and the other turns three in the spring. While we caught up, they ran around amusing one another and occassionally pressing their tiny bodies against mine for warmth and comfort. I fell in love. After chastising me for obsessive puppy love, "Enough puppy talk, what is new with YOU?" Carrie, seeing my rapt attention, offered to loan out one of her little guys for a weekend test-run. I think I may have squealed--more that she trusted me with her teeny, tiny bucket of love than the wonderous prospect of having him all to myself. If my pup isn't in my arms next weekend, you can be sure I'm taking her up on this offer.

Carrie and Kurt are a wonderful couple. They met at work and they work! They are even talking about adopting an Asian or Indian girl. I can't help but feel a tinge of pride from influence. Carrie was notorious for shrieking, "My ovaries are aching!" after a drunken night out to express her desire for a baby of her own. This turn-around and a potential INDIAN in the mix--SO exciting. She was clear to inform me of my significant role in the adoptee's life--from a cultural training perspective--I assured her, that Cultural Godmother was a role I welcomed, whole-heartedly, and I would take on the requisite attitude of seriousness and fun.

I was giddy--from the drinking and the puppy petting--so when I called Taurean and Summer, my second couple date that evening, their decline was welcomed. Besides, they have no puppy for me to play with.

All the negativity surrounding my prospective puppy ownership has dissipated afer my visit with my big. She's always guided me on the BIG steps in my life, so puppy love is just following in a long trail of her footsteps--she's a year older--so she was chapter president before me, she moved to NYC right after college, she lived on the UES, and now the puppies.
Lead the way, Carrie girl...I'm right behind ya.


*I'm not adopting any variety of baby, just for THE record. If my ovaries start aching, I'll have them removed. But if I ever have a baby pang I am a firm believer in ADOPTION!
**Of course, I'm also a firm believer in ABORTION--but these are two entirely different, though related, posts.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a capital idea -- removing ovaries should they ache. No, seriously. And adoption is such a great thing -- why birth another child when there are millions already in need of a home?

Anonymous said...

yay for carrie and kurt! i think carrie would make a great mom... and i think it's fabulous she wants to adopt. so many kids already needing a good home (argh, too much time working with the children's services org lately, it's completely starting to get to me - SAVE THE KIDDIES ALREADY! WAHHH!)... but no ovary aches yet, this world is over-populated and i'm HAPPY i don't have to take care of ANY of 'em.

Anonymous said...

hey! Question: are you hip enough to music that you could do a job like that? Isn't being a VJ like, a job only select few people can do because they eat/breathe/sleep/live for music?

Also: are they just going to be playing Indian music-vids on that station or American music? Do you follow either genre that closely?

So you have a face for tv, that's a fair statement. I agree. But are you saying that your voice is no good for radio? Is it squeaky or something?

Sweet & Vicious said...

My voice is not squeaky.

I follow Indian music of the bollywood variety which is a legit genre therein.

I do not eat/breathe/sleep music, but being a mainstream junkie--I think MTV would dig me.

My grasp of MTV Desi is that it will cover all the music South-Asians dig from bhangra to rock.

I'm as old at MTV...MTV Desi has been 25 years in the making =)

Anonymous said...

Kurt?