December 23, 2005

The Relationship

There is no relationship like the one a caffeine addict, like me, has with her caffeine provider, my Starbucks barista. The formation of a new and hopefully lasting relationship is seminal in achieving free reign in the dept. of free coffee.

Since I am a regular, it doesn't take long for an establishment, particularly with low turnover, to recognize my consumer loyalty and reward me appropriately. Usually I have the best luck with young, black baristas but today I discovered my hidden demographic--middle-aged white men (hippie-esque, I might add).

Well, not only did the sweet barista kiss my hand, he proceeded to innundate me with compliments the like of which I was unprepared for in my very late for work, frazzled, packed-for-home-in-12-minutes--so most definitely forgot important elements of grooming and basic hygiene--can't believe the 4-train was-so-slow, but thank God it's running state. Suffice to say I was wearing NO make-up and my hair was carelessly head-banded (apparently, headbands are a great look for me!). He thanked me for coming in every morning. He also proceeded to enumerate just how much he appreciated my patience and that I brightened his day. Well, now that's service. That's the kind of thing that's not gonna help me kick this habit.

Resolutions be damned. Let them drink COFFEE--in my case, Mocha Frappuccinos, hopefully in a continued state of free from fee-ness!

No comments: