January 18, 2006

NOT Lost in Translation

In Prague I learned that being city savvy is not lost in translation. Milling about the Old Town Square, I was an obvious tourist. Not just judged by my garb but also given the inherent brown in my complexion. Prague is the whitest place I've ever been. With the exception of a handful of Chinese and Japanese tourists, I did not see a single person of color--and I'm not convinced Asians are a color, per se.

As our walking tour of the Jewish Quarter ended, I trudged ahead into the warmth of the building noted to be Kafka's birthplace. As I stepped into the doorway I felt someone brush beside me without passing. Sensible traveller that I am, I was carrying my passport, money and credit cards prominently displayed in my right jacket pocket. Thinking it was either Helga, Tracey, or Jo I turned to see a man standing a tad too close to me. Immediately I felt in my pocket, noticing the shift in weight and realized my wallet was missing.

I turned my steely gaze at the Czech pickpocket and very calmly instructed him to give me back my wallet. Jo had caught up to me and unsure as to what exactly was going on, reached over to push the guy in the arm and yell, "Did he steal your wallet?" I demaned again through gritted teeth that he "GIVE IT BACK!" Whether or not he understood my English is unclear, but what is clear is that he had stolen what was mine. He promptly GAVE it back. That's right readers, he GAVE it back to me--just like that. I asked and he obliged.

It must be noted that Jo could not weigh much more than 100lbs dripping wet, but the speed and willingness with which she stood up for me made me marvel. It was very American and very sweet...not everyone is that loyal! In fact, I'm not sure I'm that loyal. I don't think I would have lifted a finger in my own defense--other than to glare at the man, angrily and demand what was mine.

The back story is that he was sandwiched between the marine family man on our walking tour and me, so his exit was blocked for the speedy getaway he had not had the foresight to plan.

This Indian girl can take care of herself--and so she did...in Prague, no less.

No comments: