February 13, 2006

Eventful Saturday

Saturday turned out to be far more eventful than I had imagined it could be.

Marc and my mom appeared on my doorstep at 4:15pm as scheduled, eager to pet Luckey. Having been rudely awakened from a nap, we were both a bit cranky. They are always late, by that I mean significantly late--so I was stunned at their timely arrival.

Marc slipped me a note as my mom made her way to the loo..it read, "Mili--Get ready to start snapping pictures as soon as I come out of the bathroom." Immediately I knew he was planning to propose to her then and there. My mother has been planning her wedding for months sans proposal. Marc finally popped the question--on a yellow t-shirt in black lettering that read "SUSHEELA, WILL YOU MARRY ME?" I obliged by snapping up a storm on the digital camera she gave him for Christmas as Luckey pranced about in glee. She was floored--suffice to say, she said YES.

Just as the storm from the engagement merriment was settling, Ditha arrived bags in tow from her 3-month hiatus. She had been in India shooting a film in Tollywood. (Bollywood is the Hindi version of Hollywood with requisite song and dance routines. Tollywood is the South-Indian version of the North-Indian phenomena, to liken it to Hollywood is a stretch that defies physics!). She was far more excited about the proposal than I was. I felt a little bad, but not bad enough to feign enthusiasm I didn't feel. I'm just not that excitable. It's my curse.
Ditha also cooed and cuddled Luckey. To my relief, he was the perfect pet--showcasing a maturity and propriety to put a grown dog to shame. Now if only he'd learn to pee on the wee wee pad. It would have been a tragedy if Ditha had been allergic or otherwise objected to my Luckey little lump of joy. Then I would have had to rid myself of her as a roomie and strike out on my OWN. sniff!

We all went to dinner at Penang on the Upper East Side and took in the C.S. Lewis adaption of The Screwtape Letters. Following which drinks were had and plans were made for future outings of a similar nature.

I missed Beth's b'day bash which ended with a jaunt to Henrietta's on Hudson--famed lesbian bar--which I was devastated to miss. But blood is thicker than water--how that fits here, I'm entirely unsure but I know it does. That expression has always eluded me. Why are friends water? I get that they're not blood, but I don't think of them as WATER. Oh well, who is this idiot to change the tide of time honored idioms.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where are the proposal pictures?
What's going on with your TV career? You are leaving your readers hanging...

Anonymous said...

yay! ditha's back!

and WOW... quite the proposal.