March 22, 2006

Anew

So, my nights consist of watching Netflix, knitting, and petting the puppy. Riveting, I know!

What I realize is that I need new friends. All mine are "married"--the quotes indicate that the law may disagree with me, but for all intents and purposes, they are a lost to me. Plus, in all truth none of those girls really burst with party spirit--even in college, most of them preferred a quiet night in to boozing at the pubs: a function of athleticism and/or a Protestant work ethic--both of which missed me entirely.

If birds of a feather flock together, does this mean I have to find a new flock altogether?

Case and point, Lauren sent a mass e-mail last night with a 50-point list of reasons to tell they are NOT in college anymore and about 75% of them pertained to drinking. Let me tell you, except for 4-5 things on that list, I still HAPPILY do all those things. I think it's my unapologetic admission of this that separates me from the rest of them.

I knew this day would come, I just figured it would align with "baby-making", apparently I was wrong. So, the quest to make new friends is in full effect. Couple that with my prospective move, it's a whole new life I'm making for myself--and Luckey, of course.

Before you throw me a pity party, I do have a few single friends left like Tommy, Rani, Gary, and Special K--but they aren't likely to be available simultaneously and either money/work or desire hold them back from going out half as much as I do.

Notice, I'm not complaining about being single--I'm whining about not having anyone to play with. For an only child, I still shun my company whenever possible. I like having a posse--a group to chill with and hit a museum, a pub, a gallery, a movie, a play, a wine tasting, a bookstore, a grocey store, or a lecture. Now, I'm not recommending we storm an aisle at Gristede's, but I like to have a pool of people to select from when choosing how I spend my one-on-one fun time. So, having a boyfriend would only begin to solve that problem....he'd be ONE person added to the pool, but it is fast shrinking. It used to be at a healthy 20-25 at any given time, but now it's dwindled down to a 4-5 not counting all the couples, which it's hard to count.

Unlike, Ditha I'm not a fan of playing third wheel. I'm not that kinda of gal. If I can't flirt with the dude, his purpose in sharing my airspace is lost on me. I admit it. I'm not saying there aren't guys, I have little to no attraction to--there are--but there is not weirdness because I've already hooked-up with them or I think of them in the "brother" context (which makes hooking up with them unthinkable and truthfully a bit disgusting-Incest is NOT best!). Maybe it's my own territorial issues when it comes to men or maybe it's that I just need a harem of gay boyfriends, but I don't see a reason to split one man's attention--especially with someone who OWNS him. Where is the fun in that? I repeat I'm just not that kinda gal.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

we have you over because otherwise we'd just be talking to each other.

again.

why would you deny us a little variety? :-)

Anonymous said...

Well...as long as it's just "in with the new," not "out with the old."