March 15, 2006

Like the Average American Marriage

my time with V has come to an end.

We were friends for a solid 3.5 months before we started dating. We stayed monogamously together for another 3.5 years. After we broke up, despite the ups and downs and general torment of staying close to your ex--we've managed a strong friendship for 3.5 years, but today after 7.25 years of togetherness in varying measure, it's over.

The time has come and gone for this inevitable end...and it was rather anti-climactic, but in truth it's been long overdue. It wasn't anything he said, but it was in all the ways he said it. V always had a knack for delivery--a purpose I dare not mimic. I say and he does. It's the way we've always been. And thus we end. With me saying goodbye and him standing by the door with his fingers firmly on the knob.

As I delete his number from my phone, the realization like a few others before him sets in...this ritual is mitigated by the reality that these digits are seared into my memory--years of dialing cannot be undone by a mere "Erase", but it's a start. Like one other number I've forgotten and another I haven't dialed in a good long while, this remembrance too shall pass and with it an era will close. The Era that was Mine and V's!

To quote one of my fave lines from one of my fave bollywood masala flicks--Hum Tum.
"Hamaree koee kahani nahi hai. Bus The End hai. The End!"
Loose translation: "We don't have a(ny) story. Just the end. The End!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, this cuts me deep, deep, deep.
Please say it isn't so.
There is still plenty of time and chances and whatever else exists out there that makes things fall back into place after they've been unscrambled a long time.

Anonymous said...

What's with the wedding-themed entries?
So, you're cutting another person out of your life huh? Sounds like you do this often...but you didn't give us details of what exactly happened here?

Anonymous said...

monogamously? ha!

Anonymous said...

i won't say that your memories of v will fade - too many for that! but he needed to be cleared from your plate... and now a new era can begin. it's hard to let the old ones go, though...

p.s. LOVE hum tum - such a cute film!