March 2, 2006

Sage Advice

I e-mailed my mom the link to Dooce's post on Laura Hirschman, timely in that my mother had just informed me of Hirschman's ramblings on working mothers just the week prior. We have big talks on car rides (this is our tradition). She launched on this topic while I was a captive audience in her soccer mom mobile, when I joined her for a pre-wedding shopping extravaganza in Edison (the Jackson Heights of New Jersey, India Town). Click THIS to read what my mom is reacting to in her e-mail to me this morning, pasted below.

My darling Child,

Thanks for that Blog. You are so right, I don't think I could cut and paste the link.
I think I want my daughter to make choices that she wants. I was blessed to have a Dad and Mom, who gave me the freedom to make a good living for us,without having to worry about who was watching you when I was doing my residencies. They gave me the chances to help us get a good life, given that my situation needed me to be a mother and a provider. The fact of the matter is our ability to make the right choices, given our circumstances. Women should be educated and be able to help with finances, should the circumstances arise.
There is no single formula that fits us all.
We all make the choices that we have to live with.
May God give you the ability to make good choices in the future, while right now you get the skills necessary for any choice that you eventually will want to make.
Love,
Mamma

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i read the post as well... found another article about it, which i posted...

i like your mom's idea. i think feminism means choice. and my choice is to opt of the stupid debate. i'll do what's right for me, if and when the time comes.