September 2, 2006

Helsinki

I ran into Zayan at B&N in Astor Place today. It was random but oddly just as I had envisioned it would be. This city is too small not to run into your exes--when you least expect it.

We fell into that familiar banter, as we always do...I solicited his aid in compiling my A-Z European City List. When he suggested Hamburg for H instead of Helsinki, I got the sinking feeling that what magic once existed between us had forever evaporated. This sad realization was cemented by R for Rhone Valley in lieu of Rekjavik! It's freakin' Rekjavik.

In the rearview mirror of my life he's so far behind that seeing him this close again breaks me out of homeostatis into a mild shock that causes me to slam on the brakes in the hopes that the airbag will pop open and force me into today without colliding into last year.

No comments: