October 30, 2006

The Bodies

The eight elements that affected me most at The Bodies exhibit, located three short blocks from my apartment building, were as follows:
1. Teratoma: a visual of teeth and nails growing in an ovary! This is a kind of germ cell cancer prevalent in children.
2. A room filled with fetuses floating in glass jars. I felt like I was in an episode of The X-Files--David Duchovny, why won't you love me?--except the plot was more in line with Unsolved Mysteries.
3. The absence of malodor. Considering that the bodies had been preserved with a specificty to muscle, nerve, and blood (via polymerization) channels; I couldn't help marvel at the lack of nose scrunching I did as I ambled from room to room.
4. The room dedicated to the brain with particular emphasis on the thin segmental slices carefully displayed on slides highlighting the true INSIDES of our heads.
5. The fact that every single body, predominantly male bodies, were of Chinese descent. Gives real credence to the Falun Gong ads and protestors all over Manhattan--silently sitting in cages.
6. The pristine preservation of the bodies and organs both still and in motion.
7. Kicking myself for not availing myself of the audio guide--lesson from the Frick learned but not practiced--Regret!
8. A liver with cirrhosis...enough said! Vowing to drink less.

No comments: