October 2, 2006

October

It is October. The seasons are a changing, again.

As I climbed out of the 6 stop at Brooklyn Bridge this evening, I felt that distinctive nip in the air and a singular leaf fell on the step before me. I paused to gaze at the lit bridge and inhale a lungful of crisp air as I jauntily put one foot before the other and emerged above ground. My iPod pumped my favorite song, "Ride Wit Me" by Nelly as I clutched my phone in one hand and adjusted the strap of my oversized tote with the other.

It is finally fall and I'm not in school but prepping for the GMAT. It has sure made me feel like a real student....in lieu of libraries I sit at the Starbucks' in Astor Place for hours at a time poring over practice tests; drinking melted, strong , iced coffee hoping against hope that apathy's last kiss is but a distant memory--yet I know it is not. Tomorrow is another day I'll lay in bed, watching TV, checking e-mails and surfing Craigslist; haunted by the reality that I wasn't born a woman of leisure. My craving for freedom, my lust for empty hours, is a reality in this era of credit--credit which turns curdles in the heat of my prolonged abuse.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, i thought you were going to work as a recruitment manager for careers for women?