November 29, 2006

My Surreal Life


Last night, I found myself in this exact car (Lamborghini convertible with the top up) traversing the distance from a Clubhouse near Teterboro Airport, NJ to The Saks Fifth Avenue in Greenwich, CT for a Kids in Crisis fundraiser with Jaylin.

I took photos on my Razr and pix messaged them over to Tracey and my mom, both of who called me in surprise. Tracey's message was priceless: "What a coincidence--right now, I'm in a 1988 Chrysler Sundance, going to the Salvation Army. It must be Stark Polar Opposites Day!" Yes, she even put all that punctuation into her text: a welcome change from her text messages that come in all CAPS--I can't help but feel she's yelling the information at me, although I know she can't muster the strength.

As I sipped champagne and picked passing canapes, my eyes marveled at bejeweled Jimmy Choos and middle-aged men and women donating to charity. I couldn't determine if this was a preview into my future or a frightening glimpse into the Tuesday night life of hedge-funders with wives who on Wednesdays would be trolling the real Fifth Avenue with their mistresses.

Jaylin works at a high-end sports car rental company as the Director of Sales and Marketing. They had generously--wisely--donated one free day in the car we drove up to the store in. A sticker price of $1950/day is the going price, but in the name of tax write-offs and attracting a customer base who won't flinch at the price we found ourselves in Greenwich.

I've been the only colored person in a room before, but I've never been the only colored person who was also 20 years younger than the demographic at hand. It was a polite experience but a jarring one nonetheless. The other people of color I saw were working at the event--theoretically, even Jaylin was there on business.

I took a seat and dialed Jo to tell her what was before me--she was just leaving Emit after another long day in the magazine world--how our lives were already drawing us apart. But it's in our differences that we take comfort, learn, and grow: so no tears or fears, onward march.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The surreal part would be that sleek sports car not tipping over having your fat ass in it.