December 13, 2006

Quarterly Report

Last night, I had four dates with three similarly different boys and one perfectly imperfect man.

I will not speak of the first because I really like him and it seems every time I blog about someone I actually like things go tragically wrong. He's the man for whom every rule I ever had has seemingly flung itself out of the hotel room window.

The second was with a boy who contacted me off MySpace. He's a real Indian with down home Indian values and a not-so-faint Indian accent. He was dressed in a cord jacket with a v-neck tennis sweater over a thermal undershirt--can we say FOB? But he was very kind and fairly simple in both his outlook on life and his judgment of others. A quality I'm coming to loathe and respect as I progress in years. We had a drink at Broadway Lounge in the Times Square Marriott Marquis. He was generic in his Indian-ness...a perfect arranged marriage candidate for a girl from The Hind.

My third date was an impromptu phone call that turned into a quick meet up with the dog watcher. He's become a very good friend of mine over the past few months. We have amazing platonic chemistry...but it seems he wants more. He is sweet, patient, compassionate, and the paragon of understanding. We split a quick stromboli at a pizzeria in No Man's Land--the 30s on 7th Avenue--before I hopped the 1-train to my last date of the evening. Here's a guy who shares a brownstone with his parents, drinks like a fish, and works two different entreprenuerial ventures with the possibility of a third in '07. If I was all attracted to him, he'd be the catch of the decade.

My fourth and final date was with the Indian Christian I met at Thanksgiving. He's not my type for a variety of reasons, but I can't resist how smart he thinks I am. It affirms for me that men can be drawn to a woman almost exclusively for her mind. We had a few drinks at Dos Caminos in Soho and made our way to The Dove--which I was appalled to hear him term a dive. Similar to date two, IC despite being born and bred in this country has a narrow vision of what is and isn't acceptable behavior in himself and others. Going to Bible College could not have helped matters, no matter how much of a badass he was on campus! His insistence on walking me home was heart-warming given he had to backtrack to the Path having missed the last bus and train to NJ--where he lives at home to help his parents with the bills and his undying moral support. Another guy who would be ideal for a very different girl than me.

Dates 2-4 were really an effort to diminish the growing craziness that has resulted from my extreme like of Date 1...Date 1 who is possibly the most baggage laden individual I have ever met, who in reality may have absolutely no interest in pursuing a real relationship with me...who is the most attractive man I have ever been with--in my highly subjective opinion--who makes me feel like I'm starring in a sitcom the likes of Mary Tyler Moore meets Sex and the City.

No comments: