March 1, 2007

Johnnie Walker Black Label

Growing up in the sticky summer months and less sticky winter months on the
West Coast of India, my grand-daddy always had a peg of Johnnie Walker Black Label on the rocks before dinner.

Dinners in Bombay are eaten late at sprawling tables adorned with overflowing bowls of fresh fruits--papayas, guavas, watermelon, mangoes, custard apples, jackfruits, and pomegranates are seasonal regulars. Dinner, like lunch, isfreshly prepared by women who spend most of their days slaving over hot stoves in air-conditioned flats with poorly ventilated kitchens. Our flat in Bandra is no different. Despite having a fridge and for some years now a microwave, my grandmother still prepares every meal from scratch with fresh ingredients--pestle and mortar in hand, wooden coconut grater on the floor, a small blender (everyone refers to as a mixie) and an enormous pressure cooker hooting intermittently on the gas stove.

These are elements of me I don't have to explain to D'Souza as he sits at my wooden dining table in my window-less living room sipping a double Johnnie Walker on the rocks as I furiously stir a pot of chicken curry on my electric stove and the rice cooker whistles in the background.

No comments: