June 15, 2007

I am Murray Hill--or I was--
Curry In A Hurry and Kalyustan
Half a dozen Halal joints; an Indo-Pak store
Outdone by Chinese Mirch--
Indo-Chinese the newest Fusion--
Quickly dwarfed by TiffinWallah
delivering Mother India in lunchboxes.
I am Curry Hill now:
Same Streets, Same Blocks
New Smells, New Frocks
Salwars and Saris long replaced;
what remained of suits encased
behind long-looked-at glass panes
covered in freshly-spit paan stains.
I am crawling with cabbies mid-day
browsing Bollywood's newest releases
at rental mandirs sans late fees;
IST (Indian Standard Time)--2 hours behind real time--
an accepted norm even across the seas.
I'm not Jackson Heights but they make-do in Manhattan:
Indians accept substitutes; One Billion Born and More To Come...
I am late-night lines at Curry Express
where ABCDs (American Born Confused Desis) and FOBs unite
craving Chicken Tikka and Mango Lassi side-by-side.
Drunken hunger pangs and homesickness collide
Geography defies jetlag in an Old World
Wrapped tightly within The New One!
What better place for East to meet West?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The host is kickin butt with writing samples! A veritable cataract and torrent of musings and reflections.

Not sure what is going on. . . usually we get one a week? Is this fresh spate of writing associated with some female cycle. . ?

Sweet & Vicious said...

Only you can deliver a compliment in conjunction with an asinine comment--inflaming the assuaged nerve.

Damn you, Cruelo...you chauvinistic fiend.

It has nothing to do with any "cycle"...remember I'm taking a writing class at Cooper Union.
BAH!

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhh! I see. That explains it! Thanks for clearing this up. Writing class--I actually wasn't aware of this. Or if I was informed, I had forgotten somehow.

So, I apologize for the indignity! :^\

Fans of El Cruello will remember that I'm far from perfect and often step on people's corns.

In my defense, I left my flippant-sounding remark purposely vague. .'female cycle' (to me) can cover many kinds of cycles--spiritual, hormonal, social, mental, romantic--not just menstrual.

Anyway, I thought I should make *some* kind of remark because all of these pithy pieces were getting no comment by other perusers of this blog!

Something about the ("0 Comments" line generated by the blog script) irks me, I think every post should have someone say something about it. We are an audience, we should participate.

Oh well. . off to the gym for now as I have a booty call to handle tonight. . El Cruello's work is never done. .

:^P