July 16, 2007

Waging Weekend War

D'Souza and I spent the weekend fighting.

Nothing major...per se. His share of asinine statements and justifications of them follow.

The way he kicked off the weekend:
D'Souza: "I mean I'm sure you thought you wouldn't be here 5 years ago. I'm sure you thought you'd make a lot more of yourself by this age."
Clearly not the topic of conversation one wishes to have at work on a Friday afternoon.
His Justification: "I thought I'd be a lot farther along at this age. I meant it the same way for you as I did for me. I think of myself as a failure."
Not sure how this makes it alright for me. It's interesting that he is quick to note how non-judgemental he is...hard to see that from this statement.

Highlight from Saturday morning:
D'souza: "I hope he dies."
In reference to my grandfather who is my heart's delight and is actually sick at present. Incidentally, he is not my granddaddy's biggest fan.
His Justification: "Well, I just said it like you say it about your stepdad. I meant it as a joke."
Of course, this did not assuage my tears. If anything happens to my Acha....sniffle.

There are others...oodles of them. These just stuck in my mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoahhhh! This D'Souza is a real piece of work sometimes. Man! these business majors.

He nearly rivals myself for occasionally blurting out thoughtless comments.

Perhaps my previous stint visiting here was not in vain. . . hopefully wrangling with the Cruel One a year ago, honed our host's skills when dealing with these type of tactless sods. Of which I am certainly one.

But ouch, ouch OUCH!--even I felt stung by that particular grandfather comment. That was about as cold as it gets. Doesn't D'Souza believe in bad omens? He doesn't toss his hat on the bed when he walks in the door, does he?