November 19, 2007

Kindle

I'm dazzled by launch of Amazon's Kindle. The new e-reader which is the book equivalent of an iPod. Sony has a model out but it's bulky and hasn't gotten the same hype--besides it's not fueled by GOOGLE!



Once the price drops from $399, I fully plan to avail myself of this "service".

I find it appalling that anything termed a "service" requires the purchase of a product TO service. I mean the cable box is FREE and installed for free--the service of getting cable COSTS money--see, that's how it should be! Just as phones are free when you sign up for a new contract. I realize you pay for the jazzy phones, but that's your problem and not mine--I go for the free phone. Except for that sad time when my phone suffered water damage and I had not phone insurance. I since subscribe to the monthly $5 required to be insured.

However TiVo, DVR in general, set a poor precedent by charging for the box and then for the service itself. I would blame laptops for starting the trend since you need a laptop before you avail yourself of connecting to the internet but one could use a laptop as a word processor and a mere vessel for the storage of digital media--thus un-availing oneself for WiFi connectivity or even something as arcane as dial-up. So see, I blame TiVo.

No, I don't whine that I pay an electric bill to keep all my appliances running and I realize full well that said appliances would be useless sans electric power...but that somehow doesn't FEEL like a rip-off. Alright, so my point is arbitrary and I'm just bitter that I once again crave technological advance in the name of luxury and leisure in my post-industrialist existence.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cable boxes arent' free they charge you a monthly rental fee for it, sometimes they even charge a buck or two for the pleasure of having a remote control.

Anonymous said...

Why would anyone be dazzled by this silly widget? Do the research, it's a dead-end. The fees alone will kill your budget.

Do you realize they will be charging you to read items through this gizmo which you could read from a desktop PC or a laptop: for FREE?

Personally I would not give up the enjoyment of holding a book in my hands and turning the pages. Screen text is ugly, awkward and cold.

--Cruel Man!