July 11, 2008

Arty Party Recap


Stella, Jani and I tromped about 25th Street between 10th and 11th Avenues today from 5pm-7pm viewing a variety of art openings. These receptions feature free wine, beer, and occassionally vodka...today I sampled all three at the seven galleries I perused.

Jani favored Science as Muse at the SVA student group show.
Stella voted for Teri Garland's Southern Discomforts complete with Klansman and families bearing the emblematic "White Power" t-shirts.

I was ambivalent till we climbed into a padded freight elevator at 555 W. 25th Street in what appeared to be an upscale apartment building--clearly a multi-use property--custom fitted with elevator doors that close like an alligator's jaws. As if the ride wasn't awesome enough a series of dark/disturbing Asian child inspired imagery donned the white walls. The post below highlights my favorites--most frightening visages.

Above is a Beetle Juice reminiscent room with a large David Copperfield style crystal filled with water exerting centrifugal force in the middle amplifying the dizzying effect of the small space. Ack!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

David Copperfield-style crystal? The Las Vegas magician, or the hero of the Charles Dickens novel? Props if the latter . . .

Sweet & Vicious said...

I don't think I actually meant David Copperfield but that guy who immersed himself in a huge crystal in Lincoln Center for a few days a few years ago...what was his name?

Anonymous said...

David Blaine, endurance artist. That makes your point a whole lot clearer, yes! I saw his 'immersion test' as well, that year.

Upper West Side, awesome in the summer. At least one evening every season, I try to reserve a table at Josephine's to sit and people-watch for an hour. I (attempt) to wear my most suave, dashing attire and just sit and watch the sunset. Checking out all the exotic, smart-looking dames in their heels and skirts swishing past.

The sun at that particular cross-street is almost horizontal when it goes down, and Josephine's serves Pilsner Urquell in tall, frosty glasses. It is a treat to enjoy, with the beer-bubbles sparking in the sun, between sips, and resting your forearms on a white linen tablecloth and white linen napkin and real silverware.

Anonymous said...

p.s. nice photo of the liquid sphere, btw

and oh yea wat's up with sampling wine beer AND vodka all in one evening? Are you in training for the Hamptons House? That'll get you sick in a hurry. . .

Anonymous said...

whooo hooo! had a drag-back last night! heh heh. Yep--she had to do the 'walk of shame' out my door this morning. bold wench!

hailey's comet must be passing by this month. how infrequent does this happen in my nabe. it must 'ave been my selections on the jukebox which drew her to me.

nice surprise. some compensation for missing the beach this weekend. . .