September 9, 2008

Enemy of the Day: Con Ed

This morning I awoke not to the pitter patter of rain but the banging on my door. Alright, there was also the pitter patter of rain. I decided to ignore it in the hopes it would go away but then my fan went off and I realized my power was out.

The boarder had awakened thanks to my barking babies and the banging on the door continued.

Con Ed men in uniform stood before me, clipboard in hand, informing me that I did not have a valid account with them. Wiping the sleep out of my eye, fear gripped me, had I not paid my bill. As consciousness seeped in, I realized that I had set up my Con Ed bill to auto-pay and the company dutifully removed funds from my account on a monthly basis. Of course, the conservationist that I am, I had gone paperless so I had no bills to show for any of this and in the name of e-organization I always deleted my paid bills. Clearly the 16-digit account number was hardly at the tip of my tongue.

Thankfully, the Con Edders contacted the mothership who informed them that I did indeed have an account and dutifully paid my bills but for the wrong apartment.

Wait just one cotton-picking minute, so for the last 15 months I've been paying somone ELSE's electric BILL. WTF?

I'm not ordinarily a litigious person but let's back up a minute: instant replay!
Men come banging on my door at 11am on a weekday.
They turn off my electricity.
They accuse me of not having an account which gives them the right to deprive me of light, air, and sound.
Then upon realizing that I have an account in good standing, they inform me that this account did not pertain to MY abode but someone else's.
Are we in America? Can I sue them?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMAO! ! !

Were you still in your jim-jams? How much cleavage did they see :o]

Remember you are EMPOWERED in this city, desi chick!


Fifteen MONTHS. You deleted all your tracks? How did the wrong address get entered?

C.

p.s. sue them for what, waking you up?

Sweet & Vicious said...

NO! Sue them for charging me for SOMEONE else's electric--not my fault is it?
I was in my nightie...which I later discovered had a HUGE hole near the boob...yikes! Bet someone got an eye-full

Anonymous said...

LOL! I thought you'd be neglectful about that kind of thing. Better watch you don't acquire other bad 'unemployed habits'

Now, I still don't get why you think you have a case. .? They didn't charge you for someone else's electric (unless there was a difference in the number of months from when you moved in vs the number of months you paid for).

In other words, you needed electric, you got electric, all the money went to the same place; both apartments received electricity. They just recorded the wrong payee. And are you sure you weren't involved in the mix-up?

Anyway good luck. It's just another sign that you are currently in an unbalanced state of existence lately! Internal chaos parallels external chaos.