October 6, 2008

Dating Sucks

Saturday night, I went out with a Jersey-raised, Kanada (Indian), only kid who graduated from Cornell and chooses to live in Jersey City among the FOBS on the grounds that he enjoys having a car and thinks NYC rent is too ridiculous.

Yes. Despite the above statement I went out with him.

We met for a drink at The Other Room at 7:30pm as my original pick, Absolutely 4th had closed. I didn't think much of him making me pick the place but it should have been a sign that he knew nothing. Our first exchange was him extolling the virtues and importance of preparedness in life as opposed to my free-spirited stance on living life for the moment. He went up to get a drink not realizing the spot was cash only and promptly ran out of the joint to get cash without notifying me of any of these proceedings. Two points.

He told me he didn't drink wine and when I requested either a Reisling or Sauvingnon Blanc and he returned with the Reisling, I knew it was because he found that varietal easier to pronounce in my absence. Three points.

After a seemingly blah drink, he suggested dinner and asked again that I pick the place. In the name of politeness and to take the pressure off his city ignorance I proceeded to select a cheap Sri Lankan joint on 1st Ave. As we walked across town, he wouldn't admit to not enjoying the walk and complained as we walked past 6th Ave. "We're leaving the place with all the people. Where are we going?" Sigh. Two points.

Once we arrived at Sigiri at 10:04pm, we chit-chatted for a while and he revealed that he's only dated 2 women in his life and each of those had only lasted a few months. Five points.
He balked at my mom's divorce followed by her marriage to the white man and her utter lack of interest in the culinary arts. Five points.
He also explained that he really didn't enjoy drinking and would never go out on a Tuesday evening for a beer as it was a worknight. Nine points.
He also mentioned that his parents, strict vegetarians, actually prepare his meals which he picks up weekly. Nine points.
At that point I should have just excused myself and gone home....but there was the matter of the check--which we split. Ten points.

Post dinner, we walked down 8th St. then down 6th Ave. and across Houston and came to a stop in front of the carcass of Senor Swanky's because I refused to pick the THIRD place of the evening and he had no idea where we should go. I also didn't want to spend any more time with this provincial prude from poverty town.

Standing and making conversation got boring till he insulted me at which point, I actually smiled turned on my heel and walked east to the 6 without turning back. His grand total of 45 points on the suck-0-meter of bad dating isn't overwhelming. I've been on worse dates and I'm sure there are plenty of dates that are much worse than this one, but the fact remains it was a lousy date.

Dating sucks just as much as I recall.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Just wow. Got to shake my head at something like that. Totally not the guy for you.

I love also how, he wasn't even sensitive enough to pick up on any of your reactions. LOL

Geezuz what a fiasco.

Most outlandish item: his parents cook his food for him!!!! wtf!

Total laugh riot

So, when are you going to expand your horizon to non-Indian guys?

Do you still have the number to that young kid who made all those moves on you in that bar that one time, while you were still foresworn to D'Souza? I TOLD you ya should have accepted his advances, ha ha

Anyway, back to this date. You poor girl! So, do you have an idea in your head of how a perfect date should go?

Anonymous said...

"Despite the above statement I went out with him."

You set yourself up.

Anonymous said...

I gotta ask...where did you meet him?

Anonymous said...

probably craigslist - where else does she meet people?

Anonymous said...

c'mon give her a break

she's already contemplating leaving NYC

like the rest of the weaklings who can't hack it

Sweet & Vicious said...

It's so hard to keep track of these anon comments...pick a fake name people, show some dedication to hating me!
I met him in the elevator of D'Souza's building on one of my walks of shame. I pretended I was visiting my COUSIN...yeah!
But I have dated off CL and most likely will again--so I'm not sure where the insult lies in that Anon #3.
Anon #4 if you're going to call me a weakling don't allude to it, just go on and TYPE it...clarity is in short supply in cyberspace.

Sweet & Vicious said...

As for Dutch...I think a perfect date would involve the FEAT of actually surprising me. Show me something I haven't seen or done in NYC. In lieu of flowers bring me a shower cap or something equally interesting and pragmatic--amazing if it could tie into the date in some way.
i.e Bring me a poncho if you are taking me to see Blue Man Group in the first few rows.

Anonymous said...

hey! Ty for the tips on what type of date would daze a girl like you. Does the Tea Crew generally feel the same?

Anyway. I'm reassured to learn that clever, intelligent date arrangements (of the kind you just mentioned) are something I usually do instinctively. I almost always bring a small item or harmless gift when meeting someone. That kind of thing. But yeah it always ties in.

Again, I urge ya to stay away from the Personals section of CL. Its a freakshow. Actually, the other --more innocent--sections are better, if you insist on trying your luck there. I've occasionally met girls accidentally by selling/buying furniture or having a political discussion, attending a workshop advertised there, etc

just my 2 cents.

good night!
Dutch

Anonymous said...

follow-up out of curiousity

what was the insult this strange dude directed toward you at the end of the night?