November 13, 2008

Crusade Against ConEd

Last night, I came home at 10:52pm to discover that the electricity in my abode had been turned off. I had not been notified that this would happen. I have my bills set to auto-pay using a paperless online system. Clearly, my bills are paid and for tha matter paid ON TIME.

I call ConEd's emergency number to discover that they shut down their computerized system between 11pm-1am for daily updates. My phone starts beeping due to low battery. I walk to my car and charge my cell phone whilst draining my car battery.

At 1am I speak to the ConEd rep who first tells me they did not turn off my meter. I insist. He then informs me that I do not have an account with ConEdison at which point I ask to speak to a manager. This manager, Michael George, reduces me to tears of sheer frustration and electricity outage hopelessness. He, none too gently, explains that according to my building's management company my apartment (less than 500 sq. feet) is serviced by two meters. When I ask how it is possible that I have NO current flowing anywhere in my apartment when ONLY one meter is turned off, he dismisses me and continues to insist that it is not possible for one household to use as few kilowatts as I have for the last several months. He explicitly states that I have been using the wrong meter and a letter was sent to me on September 10, 2008 to that effect. When I inform him that the food in my refridgerator has spoiled and I have no light anywhere in my home...I hear him shrug--that's right, his reaction was the equivalent of a SHRUG--

Pray tell, how I am supposed to know which meter is affiliated with MY apartment. How am I to know which meter that is? How am I to be assured that I will be now paying for just my electric and not that of the ENTIRE basmement of my building.

Outrageous!

He then transfers me back to the peon I was originally dealing with to set up a time (8am-4:30pm today) for a ConEd person to come turn ON my meter. Before he releases me to his subordinate he explains that if I am not home to provide access, they will leave without turning on my meter and even if they gain access without me, unless someone is home they will not flip the circuit breaker by the meter which will actually allow me to HAVE electricity in my apartment. I sigh.

I go to the lab for my 9:30am staff meeting and call ConEd on my return bus ride to be told that someone came by at 10:30am, couldn't get access and left.
I try to reason with the woman who informs me in an irritating calm and unaccommodating tone that I am welcome to switch to solar panels or wind energy if I don't wish to continue my service with ConEdison.

Double sigh. Seriously? If I could afford a windmill or a solar panel I would not live in a hovel in SpaHa!

So, finally the guy shows up at 3:40pm, I let him in. He huffs and puffs that the meter is locked in a way that he is unable to unlock it. Finally, discovers it's not off at all and just flips the circuit breaker above the meter. So I went without ELECTRICITY for an entire night and most of a cloudy afternoon for NOTHING. Had I only known!

We are at the mercy of our vendors. I hate ConEd.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, incredible. How thoroughly annoying. I'm very sorry you went through this ordeal.

I really don't know what to say other than this: you know what a circuit breaker looks like, right?

Also: you can use the light from your cell phone to find a circuit breaker.

I think you should get a basic emergency 'go kit' for your dwelling. It amazed me that people don't take simple precautions.

Food, water, candles, flashlight, lantern, chargers, battery operated gadgets. Extra I.D. and important papers.

Question: why didn't you stay at a friend's home?

--C.

Anonymous said...

Hate coned? Your ignorance of your apartment is what got you there. hahaha...this made me laugh!

Anonymous said...

I think the most hilarious point of the anecdote is when they send the guy out and you didn't get back in time to meet him. After all that you went through!

Oh and the customer service rep sweetly telling you to switch to wind or solar. What the feck?? She needs a very strong, right-handed bitch-slap!!