November 5, 2008

He Won!

There was a big part of me that just didn't believe it would happen. That is could happen NOW....Barack Obama--Mr. President.

I could hear the celebration from my basement abode. The cheering wafted down from Harlem wrapping my block in a cocoon of hope.

At first McCain's speech seemed bordering on racist to my sensitized ears. I mean could he have used the work black more often? Bringing up BTWash to make his point that 100 years have seen blacks go from scrappy invites to ruling the house itself. Is there any REAL need to STATE the obvious. It's one of those backhanded compliments I hate. I'm stunned he didn't break out the Bell Curve and start reading passages explaining how blacks with their inferior intellect compensated for by their superior atheleticism ought to be darn proud of this great victory!
What's next...Caribou Barbie calling it the BLACK House?

ON the flip side, Obama didn't bring up race at all. He focused on his family (wonder what kind of pup will inhabit the Big House--wonder if it will be a white pup?), 106 year old Ann Nixon Cooper in ATL, and the slogan that has shaped American History and I can only hope it will continue to do so under his leadership: We Can. NONE of this I think I can business...We Can. Simple.

I clearly see the difference in agendas--it's not lost on me--the lizard wanting to seem gracious despite his loss but asserting with clarity the blackness of the new president and the victor focusing on a "we-opic" vision ensuring his constituents don't other him in his future efforts to determine the trajectory of our governmental process.

No comments: