March 29, 2009

M1-5

Friday night, I met Norman and Tommy at M1-5. Well, I met Tommy at our old abode for W&W which used to stand for Weed&Whine then Weed&Wine, now Weed&Whiskey. He was splendid and bought a special bottle of Jack just for the occassion.

His current roomie, JMa, who lives in what was once my windowless room (THE CAVE) has a friend staying with them. This southerner, A, with floppy hair and backward voice had been warned that I was a spitfire but continued to balk at my innocent statements chagrined by my very presence. It was a fearful peek into what visits to GA will be like--my mom and her husband just closed on their retirement home down there. It's in an active adult golf cart community...yes I should have put in a lot of hyphens. I did not.

So from W&W and frightening out-of-towners, I hastened to meet Norman at M1-5. Originally chosen for its proximity to FiDi--alright, really because Halle invited me to join her at her b-school friend's b'day bash there. Norman, sweet soul, had Jack on the rocks awaiting us upon our arrival; thus reinforcing my tardiness.

His nuptials impending, Norman stared out wistfully into the crowd at two live archetypes of women he goes for and said to us, "Do all the things you set out to do before you get engaged." Wisdom!

Halle started fiddling with her phone when an average looking Indian started engaging me in a conversation about basketball which illustrated that he knew less about the sport than I--tragic! That's not game, but it's something. Norman swooped in to ensure that my Jack goggles wouldn't drop me to this level of engagement. I think Tommy was integral in pointint this out to Norman but team effort on that. I appreciated the cock-block because while I wasn't interested, I was loving the attention. Sad but true.

Post yelling over the music and feigning interest in basketball we headed to Jubilee in Chinatown. We lived above a Jubilee together so it was fitting that they eat pizza and feed me a red velvet cupcake in such a setting. We closed the place down at 2am and went our separate ways at Canal St. Norman taking the R, me hopping the 6, and Tommy walking south to where we all once lived together--pre-cohabitation, job changes, and broken hearts.

No comments: