October 26, 2005

Friemployed

Tommy hooked me up with some day work yesterday. He was the best boss ever. He got me a snapple and put rubber band bracelets on my wrists. After I had done the grunt work, he joined me to create a two-person assembly line so the task which would have taken me another hour or two on my own was complete in forty short minutes. The pay didn't stink either. All in all a good day--productive! Once I asked Tommy if we would be friends forever. He said in all earnest with a straight face, "Until we get into serious relationships and get married fo' sho'." I remember that stinging. My feelings were hurt and I had no way to lash out, but the thing is...Tom was just being honest. I'm a girlfriend substitute--minus the sides--and he thought I was smart enough and mature enouogh to handle the truth. Besides, just because he's gonna dump me for Mrs. Tommy doesn't mean I should start the pity party just yet...she's still out there and I'm still right here.

No comments: