October 13, 2005

Word Phobia

There are certain words that make me squirm. NO, not dirty words...well I guess they are laden with innuendoo...but words like moist and creamy--yuck. Just typing them, I feel a bit queasy.

I was on the phone with a gentleman friend. He concurred. Apparently I am not alone. Words can make you uncomfortable, less for their meaning and more for the way they roll off people's tongues.

Of course, it's no suprise that words hurt people. Especially people we love, but those aren't the words I mean. Those words are obvious, and even when less obvious still painful in a way that applying Ben-Gay on an open sore burns.

I'm talking about words that we are phobic of without having any idea why, because they don't sting or burn in their content but they leave an odd aftertaste in their spoken wake.

No comments: