October 13, 2005

Happy Birthday Bells!

My good friend from high school beats me to 25 today. We're a quarter of a century, baby! Can you believe it?

Ells Bells...the times we've shared these last 10 years. Yes, lady...it's been 10 years since that New Year's Eve we wandered protected, suburban streets skipping First Night for some booze out of unmarked containers on your freezing deck. I still know where you keep the hidden key.

Or that day in June when the rain was pouring and we ditched Jordan and Touby because we wanted to drink Scotch as we walked from SHS to the old townhouse. Ah, New England Ave...I always thought that street inspired you to go to college in VT--New England. You English, sigh. Always doing the travel thing...your stint in India touched me--it was commendable--it changed you. Your ancestors shaped mine and then my people changed you...you came back humble.

I am so proud of the work you've done in DC. Taking on disaster relief can't be easy, but you skipped camping to do the right thing. I respect that--that's why I didn't give you a hard time. It wasn't just about getting ahead in your chosen career, it was about helping people. Doing the right thing. You are good with altruism. Me, not so much. But I always felt the better for it because you were and so as your friend, I was a little too.

Happy Birthday, old girl. Hope this one is filled with flapjacks, lemon bars and layer cake. Wash it down with something less toxic than Scotch. How I wish I could share this with you...well, I guess I am, in my way...aren't I?

No comments: