November 11, 2005

Esoteric

Sitting at Mustang's with Kelli this afternoon, spooning warm chicken tortilla soup into my mouth we got to discussing why our friends come down so hard on us.

Kelli: Film noir is great, but after a long day of work my brain just wants to detox

Me: Word. I pick the summer blockbuster every time.

Kelli: I think they (our friends) expect more from us because we're capable of dissecting and appreciating the intellectual nuances in the foreign film.

Me: But we choose not to. Honestly, I get it but I can't be bothered with it. It's laziness on one hand and I like my entertainment mainstream and escapist. why do I have to apologize for it?

Kelli: It's really our choice they frown upon. I don't want to be esoteric, since when is this a crime?

Me: Wow. This diatribe merits credits on Dawson's Creek (or the latest teen-angst ridden WB show!)

Kelli: Amen to that. Pass the hot sauce.

Me: You can't handle the green sauce, white girl!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol... i like how i sound in print.

ok, REALLY need to stop procrastinating on this paper... deadline got moved to sunday, which is SO dangerous... but now i have time to watch me some entertaining fluff films, only as a study aid, of course. like a palate-cleanser between courses, they prime the brain to move on to the next serious topic.

Anonymous said...

ugh