November 26, 2005

From Thanksgivings Gone By

Sunday after Thanksgiving
Penn Station is packed with the teeeming return of home-goers
Under the NJtransit board he stood: white ipod headphones, black murse slung low across his back over a puffy, black ski jacket above straight-leg, beige, floppy cords--a look of casual concentration on his face, the five-o'clock shadow nearing six o'clock.

I was overcome by a desire to drop my overnight satchel and run to him--just as they did in the movies. But I didn't. Instead I stood perfectly still and watched as his eyes searched for me.

When our eyes met, a bemused expression curved his lips and my face opened into a smile. We walked slowly towards each other, battling the masses making their way back to the rat race.

The moment his arms enveloped me, I was home. The familiar D&G cologne--I still can't escape a flashback when it hits me now--the fuzz on his face, scratching my cheek, that kiss after mere days that felt like weeks...we would have many separations but no reunion would be as sweet or gratifying as this first one.

He held my hand, after some resistance from me took my bag, and as I held back skips we made our way to starbucks. Where he ordered his usual tall mocha with four domino packets of sugar and I requested a grande white chocolate mocha with an extra shot of espresso. I always wanted more than he did.

When we parted at Times Square, I spied a neatly packed CD in my bag--he'd slipped it in to surprise me. I LOVE suprises, but I usually figure them out. Our song was on it...the song I made him play every night I slept over in those blissful beginning months, with the one candle lit in his tiny room...we were so naive. I was so happy.

Come away with me in the night
Come away with me and I will write--you a song
Come away with me on a bus
Come away where they can't tempt us--with their lies

And I want to walk with you--on a cloudy day
In fields where the yellow grass grows knee-high
So won't you try to come

Come away with me and we'll kiss on a mountain top
Come away with me and I'll never stop loving you...

I wanna wake up with the rain falling on a tin roof
While I lay safe there in your arms
So all ask is for you--to come away with me in the night

Come away with me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

memories really suck sometimes. i'm sorry, honey.