November 13, 2005

Jane Austen

I am a woman.
I neither enjoy nor appropriately appreciate Jane Austen.

I will refrain from writing sentence after sentence critiquing the trite premise of each tale she weaves sans real imgination or the veiled feminism that peeks through, dissappointing with each turn of the page.

Charlotte Bronte...now, her, I like! Ok, I like Jane Eyre and that's about the extent of my knowledge on the topic of Charlotte. She had two sisters. They wrote books. One of them was Emily. She wrote Wuthering Heights--which I have not read.

That's my admission for the day...perhaps the week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Needs work. You mention below that you can't paint or shoot flowers, to that list I would add that you have a long way to go with film or literary criticism.

Jane Austen is certainly taking a beating at your hands. I know plenty of girls who have the DVD box set of 'Pride & Prejudice' as one of their most treasured possessions.

Can't fault you on your mainstream music picklist. Music= the most abstract of all the arts, thus anyone's 'fave list' stands up to anyone else's.

I'm cruel but fair.