December 15, 2005

The Art of Asking Questions

My transition role vendor meeting was a bit disorganized. I was supposed to meet with ONE new vendor but she appeared with her partner in tow. My VP was stuck on a conference call and the person I was transitioning with sits on a different floor--so I left her a message--then proceeded to meet and greet my VENDOR(s). One vendor, two people--to clarify.

So, the thing with vendor meetings is that you have to ask them questions. In order to ask these questions you much have some understanding of what they do and what you do in conjunction to what they do. I never seem to have either of these pieces. So I wish there was a class to teach me HOW TO ASK QUESTIONS or WHAT KINDS OF QUESTIONS TO ASK VENDORS or HOW TO SOUND SMART WITHOUT DOING A LOT OF WORK.

Sheesh, here I thought that was what I'd learned in college but even with my refined corporate speak, I'm in the dark on this.

I got by, but why get by when you can get high...wait, that's for after the meeting, after work, after happy hour...LOOOOOOONG DAY.

No comments: