December 23, 2005

From Print to Video

This year I showed up in print....in the Post...not in a tabloid-y fashion, sadly. Tom's sister wrote an article on my apartment for the real estate section. There was a huge photo--which I had not expected--I mean, the photographer did come to the apt., so I gathered there would be a photo, but it was HUGE. My biggest concern was that it made my face appear HUGE. I have a bit of face-snobbery: I cannot bear big faces--Minnie Driver, case and point. My fear that my face was enormous was assuaged by the reality that the picture was enormous--proportions and such.

This feature was conveniently timed to be the week of my birthday--October 14th. Happy 25th--quarter-life crisis averted. Unfortunately it was a rainy rainy Friday, so I'm not sure many people stumbled out to get the Post. Goodness knows few self-respecting adults SUBSCRIBE to said news publication. That dream came alive in 2005!

So, my love for CL reaches an all-time high. I discovered "Hooking Up" a documentary dedicated to the perils and triumphs of online dating in NYC as told by single New Yorkers--not celebrity hosts. I am in the running to air on ABC under the direction of the lovely chap who filmed the "Hopkins 24/7" while I was at Hopkins (not being a med student then or ever, I came nowhere near BEING in that one!). I will be followed around by camera-men and taped as I date, eat, work, sleep, walk, talk, and generally live. So I'm meeting with Mr. ABC Man on Tuesday to see if I fit the bill. I'm figuring the diversity has got to curry favor, plus I'm no skinny twig--which a normal girl would see as a con, but it's a pro since that fits more of a documentary standard, right? Real people and such...

My sass landed me a photo op, my photo landed me the interview and if my ability to get jobs is a litmus test--the odds are in my favor. Not to jump the gun, but how HOT would that be--ME on TV? Will I get my kicks in 2006?

Now, I'm not Ditha. I have no dreams. Esp. not ones involving being on television or in films, but it would be VERY cool and fulfill every Real World fantasy to actually be taped going about my daily life. Not to mention the pizzazz of nonchalantly dropping my single-life documentary in not-so-much Sex but a whole-lot-of-the City kinda way.

Brown girls are usually banned from dating, let alone dating strangers they meet on the Net..the taboo and faux-pas surrounding these endeavors will limit me from publicizing my life as I expose it to the public--but the inevitable Uncle who sees this movie and speedily dials my grandparents in India while he Fedexes them a pirated DVD, will undoubtedly add malaise to my monotonous life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

normally i am against the post (kills brain cells) but i would definitely have bought the one you were in!

but now that you're going to be on TV (like how i forged past all uncertainties there? you WILL be) i'm waiting for the dvd version!