December 4, 2005

Ode to Public Transport

It was a seamless journey via mass transit to Continental Airlines Arena. I'm one of the few bus fans out there. It puzzles me why more people don't sing praises of the bus system. It's really convenient, safe, and relatively clean--also above ground, so you get AM/FM reception and if you're obnoxious, you can talk on your cell phone.

The last time I made this trek was in September with asshole, i-banker boy from days of yore to see the Jets play the Vikings. He handled the bus tickets and beer, while mom's fiancee was the gracious giver of goal-line seats (four rows up!). This time I was left to figure out the gate number and secure my own ticket via the numerous bus window choices.

For all my bus love, I can't say I can bear the Port Authority. YEESH.
They've spruced it up with an Au Bon Pain and Casa Java, but it's still leaves me feeling a little queasy.

This summer when Karen, Ditha, Special K, and I embarked on our Dewey Beach adventure over 4th of July weekend, we were horrified by the poorly managed lines and lax security. But I guess, they only care to secure what enters Manhattan, no one really cares about what leaves the island.



Subways can be crowded, smelly, and populated by panhandlers and homeless folk, but the conveniece of NEVER having to drink and drive is worth almost any small nuisance(s). Not to mention my adoration of the teeny, tiny, culturally outfitted mariachi band that provides great accompaniment on days I am unable to squeeze my oversized discman in my under-sized purse.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a discman? That's not very Desi! You can get a great MP3 player just as good as an iPod for a third of the price. The Zen player is decent. Also iRiver.

Yeah Port Authority is a mess. What a urinal that place is.

But good news for Penn Station: They're moving that facility 1 block to the rear: it will be housed in that great neoclassic U.S. Post Office building, which will be retrofitted to mimic (as much as possible) the wondrous Penn Station of the 1940s. Hurrah!

Anonymous said...

before nyc, i had a secret horror of buses - from the late bus in hs to the city buses of paris and bmore (and brooklyn), i was always in fear that i took the wrong line and would end up lost in the unknown. plus, almost got robbed getting off a bus in prague.

but here? so long as i stay in manhattan, the buses go in lovely straight lines i can understand. and that makes me very, very happy.