December 18, 2005

A shopping affair

I spent the day with my mom yesterday. She came in to pick up the presents I had purchased for her fiancee-to-be and herself; so they could spend the requisite week under our seven-foot fake fir.

She drives in from NJ to see me. Parks in a lot near me in lieu of driving around. She has trouble navigating city traffic--parking really is the best solution. We then ride the subway to dinner, shows, etc.

Yesterday, we started with a stop at the 92nd and 3rd location of Starbucks. My mother, as the opposite of me on all issues of importance, loathes starbucks. She finds the coffee deplorable--preferring, rather vehemently and vocally, the merits of Dunkin' Donuts. She bows to my preference when she visits me and I to hers when I visit her...that's our compromise. I get the better end of the deal, since she visits me far more often than I go home.

After a brief but crowded ride on the 4-train, most of which my mom insisted we should have just taken cab, we wandered about the festive, outdoor mart in Union Square. I spied some leather wallets with street signs and city streets stamped on them in photographic majesty. Must go back for those.
A woman in the holiday spirit handed us her bichon-pooodle mix, 10-week old pup (Finley) to pet and play with. Mom peppered her with questions and proceeded to profess pleadingly that I get that VERY puppy...as if the two girls toting him would readily hand acquiese his ownership to me. But our love for the mixed breed grows and I think we'll make the trek to Peach Grove, PA to get me one JUST like him--but maybe a girl.

Picked up an essential black, v-neck, ribbed cardigan and silky, polka dot halter from Forever 21 then some staple knee-high boots in black and brown from DSW.

Waited in an obscenely long line at Whole Foods for ONE lousy bottle of water--but thirst must be quenched.

Rosie joined us at JAPONICA for dinner--she was stoned. My mom didn't notice but Rosie was mildly paranoid, I could tell. It was a nice Family Brown moment.

Picked up a bubble tea to-go from the usual spot, then rode the bus home with mom. All is well that ends well!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

really, can't wait to see your puppy... the cuteness to come!

Anonymous said...

Standing in line at a supermarket for ONE bottle of water!?! Really, aren't there better ways of aquiring it?

Anonymous said...

Seriously, I thought water at Whole Foods was assumed to be free?