December 12, 2005

Social Loafer

The fine distinction in my social loafing is that it occurs purely in an academic context. I'm a good employee--not great, mind you--and a great social planner. Though I'm notorious for planning group outings and bailing out at the last minute. that's not loafing as much as being unreliable.

The differentiation that must be made to this unrealiability is that I can be counted on in bad times. In other words, I'm dependable. Those times when everyone else is seemingly occupied, I'm there. No doubt. Every time. Bad/Lonely Times=My presence. I just don't see the relevance of being at every single positive social experience. My belief is that the fairweather friends will outnumber me and it is my social duty to blend into the woodwork so those who disappear in times of need can partake in the good company of my friends. Keep in mind, I bail not on one-on-one interactions, unless I have a great reason (such as work or sickness).

What can I say, it's my version of sharing. I'm a 100% attention, affection, me-me, you-you kinda gal...so I'll take you in the bad times and delegate the good to someone who won't have the decency to stick by you in the bad.

This is not to say I never attend momentous happy times, just that my likelihood of attendance is lower at these events--not 100%. Again, I always inform expectant parties of my invariable decline--yes, usually after the initial accept. I have every intention of going, it just wanes at the auspicious date approaches.

Besides, wouldn't you rather I not come than come and sulk the whole time? Yes, those are indeed the only choices.

No comments: