December 7, 2005

Tea Therapy

Every Tuesday, it started off as Mondays, a group of us assemble at a teahouse in the East Village. The square tables and square backless stools don't bestow much by way of comfort but the tea and conversation more than make-up for that.

The Regulars:
I bring in the sassy, single, HR in banking, slacker grad student and minority faction!
Kelli provides the non-profit/IR gal insights. She works in city government while attending school full-time and living with her bf on the UES.
Lauren is our gung-ho market researcher who works with her live-in guy in BK.
Jo's the other single gal but she's a workaholic journalist turned Columbia student who lives by NYU. My only anti-baby ally in the group.
Karen is our Rules girl who is seeing a Parisian (who lives IN paris) fashion officer and our art/gallery insider. She conveniently lives around the corner from Jo.

Infrequent but welcome guests:
Stella: The engaged schoolteacher from Oregon with the crazed fashionista stories.
Vicki: The fiery, married Irish (but isn't), Queens resident, UT-bred redhead non-Mormon whose keen observations are a mismatch with her computer manager persona in her aetheist role with the Episcolal church that employs her.
Beth: Our token Jewish lesbian, medical student lives in the Bronx with her girlfriend.
Sarah: The midtown apartment-owning law student we all thought was Jewish, but isn't.
Kate: Lauren's engaged friend from MN who we're trying to add to the group.

This week Karen, Jo, Kelli, Beth, and I rehashed minutiae, caught up on life, and concluded as always that it was fabulous to be young, smart, attractive and living in New York even if we didn't have the money or the time to do half of what we wanted to do. It's all about having the option(s)!

3 comments:

Sweet & Vicious said...

Wild is relative. I have no desire to OWN this town--I'm very happy with it owning me...yay being owned by the greatest city in the world.

Right, because reading my blog I come across as a genuine"shrinking wallflower"! Don't make me snort. I'm gonna have to start calling you dummy instead of cruel...just foolishness.

Who needs a man when I have MANhattan!?

Sweet & Vicious said...

To be clear, the only two options are wild party girl and shrinking violet wallflower. I thought there was a spectrum--a continuum of being--but not in cruel world.

Also wild party girl is cute at 18, forgivable at 22, a bit sad at 25 and contempt-inducing at 30.

Being past the cusp and into 25--I've just taken to aiming a little higher is all.

PS: I'm not a daydreamer. In fact, I'm open about lacking entirely in the dream dept.

I am a slacker. A social loafer.
I'm a coaster. A closet thinker.
That's about that...

Anonymous said...

hahahaha. he called stella a 'wallflower'.