January 24, 2006

I stepped on his foot...

This morning, half-awake as I was, stumbling about my kitchen--Luckey nipping at my toes I accidentally stepped on his teeny, tiny puppy foot. He yelped and absconded from me. In the short time that I've known him, I've never seen him pull away from me--he was afraid and I had hurt him. The guilt that gripped me is unspeakable. I've never felt so bad about ANYTHING in my WHOLE life. Honestly, hyperbole aside...I am stewing in a pot of remorse. I didn't mean to--it was an honest accident, but his reaction combined with my realization that his itty bitty Luckey foot had been underfoot of my comparatively HUMUNGOUS human foot--so sad.

Minutes later he was back to loving me, but he didn't nip at me again. He was weary of the consequence of any more nipping. I suppose the positive side effect is that I may have cured his biting of my feet, but I don't think so...I'm guessing when I get back tonight he'll be back at it--completely forgetting this morning's incident, but I fear I don't have this luxury. I don't think I can forgive myself for this till I do something even more egregious that paralyses me with poor puppy owner fear.

I'm sorry, Luckey. I really didn't mean to. You're the best pup-pet EVER!

No comments: