January 27, 2006

Staring

At what point does looking become staring?

I was on the subway last night and the most beautiful man was standing a few feet away. I couldn't help looking at him--continuously. He didn't notice. I vowed to myself that if he got off at 86th St. I would make my move. He did. I did not.

I gave myself an extension. If he rode the 6 train up one stop and got off at 96th St. I would definitely talk to him. He did. I did not.

As we climbed the steps up to the sidewalk, I pledged firmly--if he walks in the same direction as I do--there was no turning back--I WOULD DEFINITELY INITIATE CONVERSATION. The wily fellow walked across the street to the supermarket.

I stood stupefied for a minute and walked toward my apartment. As I got to the first corner, I couldn't do it. I turned back around and went into the super market. I stood in the aisle nearest the one he was examining produce in--hunting for an IN. What could I possibly say to this incredibly handsome man?

My opening line was going to be, "Is your name Josh or Luke, by any chance?" I find these to be historically HOT names...but once he replied I had NOTHING. So I didn't ask. He rounded the bend and walked by me and I froze like an icicle in a bat cave. YIKES--he even smelled good.

Defeated and forlorn, I dragged my feet out of the store and went home. On the short walk, I called Tommy to tell him my tale of woe. He comforted me with these words: "I've followed a girl onto a subway going the opposite direction from where I needed to go. You're not that much of a psycho....wait, why didn't you just ask for his help picking out produce?" Well, sheesh--where were you when I was standing there about to pee on myself due to the extremes of glee and trepidation my mind kept switching on me.

Besides, he's got to have noticed me between the two subway lines and my pursuit of him INTO the SUPERMARKET! If he'd had an iota of interest he could have said/done something...right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you said nothing!!! Isn't "Hello" really popular? Rory Gilmore would have known just how to behave in this situation...

Anonymous said...

doesn't it suck that you can be so witty right up until the point where it counts?!