February 21, 2006

Commentary on Love

I have a few specific things to say about love...having recently fallen completely OUT of it with a man and then fallen right back in it with a dog.

Of romantic love I say this:
It is the timeless plague. An emotional epidemic of proportions as large as you are capable of feeling.

Like an addiction it consumes, till there is nothing left of you to consume; if you are to survive you must quit it before it quits you.

I have loved and I have lost. And I promise you, I am none the wiser for either.

The battle of love can only be won by two players, both of whom must mirror the other's devotion--if this cannot be achieved they must be comfortable with one or (both in turn) compensating for the other's lack therein.

The best experience I have had in loving someone is realizing it after the fact--it saved me the agony at the time and leaves me with a feeling of softness and sweetness after the fact.

Falling out of love was more fulfilling than falling in love with him--perhaps because he was the devil and to quit him was Godly.

Of pet love I say this:
Just when you think, one more incident and you are done--the incident seems minor and you have only just begun.

No human being can fill you with the promise and pride that a pet brings to your feet--unconditional love and devotion, albeit in the form of a toy in his teeth.

As his puppy eyes look up at me in awe and genuine wonder, I wonder if he is mirroring my emotion for him or if I am mirroring his for me.

The reality that he will never be angry with me, no matter how cruel I feel I have been--at once it induces guilt and joy, emotions known for their twin capacity only in sadists.

I never knew there was love that could not hurt. This love is that of a pet.

These aren't famous--they are me--if I paraphrased someone famous it was wholly unintentional. I apologize, nonetheless!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh

my

God.

Your prose really, really sucks.

Sweet & Vicious said...

Um...that wouldn't be categorized as prose....they are QUOTES, dimwit.

Anonymous said...

Umm...they aren't quotes if they are YOU - "These aren't famous--they are me--if I paraphrased someone famous it was wholly unintentional. I apologize, nonetheless!"