February 28, 2006

The Dove

Last night, after work, during my subway ride to The Dove--where the tea girls were meeting me for some happy hour fun--I got chatted up by a broken Shakespearean actor turned stunt man who works IT to pay his bills. My Bridget Jones-y Brit colleague looked on in awe. Nothing to be awed by sista, it's always the mistas I'm not interested in that start the chat bit with me.

He was actually very cute in a 6'3" Robinhood sans tights kinda way, but SO not my type. Yes, I have a type. That type is V! I hope you're reading this, Mr. V!
Anyway, so we didn't exchange names but it's remarkable the amount of information that can be conveyed in 3-4 stops. He even switched trains in an effort to maximize chat time--since I had to take the local to get to Bleecker and he was headed to Grand Central. At one point he actually said, "Aargh!" To which my retort was, "Where's your eye patch, pirate!?"

He mentioned that in his next life he wanted to come back pretty, wealthy, and dumb. To which I said, "Pretty is not all it's cracked up to be!" The requisite, "Well, since you're the expert, I'll take your word for it!" from him almost worked, but then again--I love V--flattery won't always get you where you need to go, at least with me.

Again, it's when I have one contact in and a leaking eye that a charming, chatty Carl will turn on me. sigh.

Stella was gorgeously adorned to match the motif of The Dove--white, lacey/frilly Georgian blouse with fitted jeans and pointy, black shoes--Jo's older man popped in to whisk her off to dinner. He seemed genuine. I was going to type nice, but my loathing of the word "nice" held me back since I actually think I could like him very much as a boyfriend of a friend. He's a LEAP in the right direction from the last guy she invested in emotionally--I see high returns.

Lauren is backtracking on her move-out with "the boyfriend everyone currently hates". Kelli is over-worked and less underpaid than usual but happy that school is not sucking her soul like marrow from a lamb's leg. Karen is stressed to the Nth degree with her thesis--two years in the writing she has not been doing--with the due date sneaking up on her. Her Frenchman will be in town for 3 weeks adding stress to this fact and the reality that this will be the longest time they have spent together in the same city since they started dating almost a year ago. Egads!

I had nothing new to report as the single girl not-so-extraordinaire. When did I get so lame. Well, I've always been tame, but lame...yeesh, so much for getting my kicks in 2006!

No comments: