February 28, 2006

Family Ties

Dear Sweet,

That was the best email ever. Thanks so much for sending such warm
thoughts my way. I hope you know that it means the world to me.

You are a gem and I'm really fortunate to have you as my cousin.
You've made me feel at home in the city and have brought lots of
happiness to my time here.

Hope all is well. Give Luckey some love from me.

xoxo
Rosie


My grand-daddy calls me a gem. The first time V came over to pick me up from my mom's house over one of our first spring breaks from college--my grandparents were visiting from India--my grandpops gave V a raised eyebrow and made him promise to bring me back by nightfall* because I was his "gem". The ribbing that ensued continues today--V will call me a "gem" whimsically and hold back chortles reminding me of that fateful day. But really if this reminds him that I deservea BIG gem--I'll live with the consistent mockery.

*Indian parents and grandparents are firm believers of being home by nightfall. In India this isn't till 9pm at the earliest so it's not nearly as limiting as it becomes in seasonal countries. There was a period in high school when I was not allowed out past 4pm which invariably was before most after-school events ended--specifically away tennis games. All Indian kids play tennis or they are expected to play tennis. It's our sport of choice. Damn those British!

No comments: