March 1, 2006

Corporate Celebrity

I'm not sure if this happens at all companies or just the Fortune 100 ones, but since that is the entireity of my corporate experience I am forced to make generalizations based on that sample about corporations at large.

That disclaimer done, I will move to the point of this post:
Climbing the corporate ladder has many benefits, the least of which is the pay increase--but for a praise-driven fiend like myself, it is the celebrity status that senior management exudes that is the true driver. This said, it is the likes of me that allow for this celebrity status subscription of regular Joe's who've hit it big in business. But the truth is, I'm a blase version of the true hero worshippers who idolize their bosses or their bosses' bosses. The role model factor aside, the truth is that these people weild power or at the least authority--which are not one as the same, I took a whole class on this topic at TC--which is extremely attractive. When one is a people influencer it is the varition of these critical variables that make the upwardly mobile, truly mobile.

It's an interesting and diminished way to get to the profession of prestige umpteen models and actors strive for from the greater public. But in a large global organization acquiring real visibility is a feat and a treat!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you are pathetic.