February 8, 2006

Just Chew Gum

Tracey has always held that you can chew your way out of a bad habit if you have enough gum. She is a FIRM believer in the Gum Principle which has absolutely NO relation to the Pleasure Principle.

"Just chew gum!" remains her perrenial advice to me as I whine about my caffeine problems. She insists you can cure whatever ails you in the addiction department if you chew enough gum. Or was it if you chew gum often enough? Wait, isn't that the same thing?

Well, Trace I am here to say that the day has dawned when I heartily agree.

Jo's BOYFRIEND (Jo never calls ANYONE her bf, so this is BIG--HUGE even!) owns a gum company and this company sells caffeinated gum.

So really, I'm not kicking caffeine as much as the hefty price I pay for it as well as the vat of caloric luxuries I cannot afford. Two pieces of this chiclet sized gum is equal to ONE cup of coffee--the question arises of how many cups are in a Venti Mocha Frappuccino, but I suppose it will go unanswered at this time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Caffeine gum!?! I had a revolting caffeine-flavored "chocolate" bar the other day to induce a night of paper writing -- UGH! Just how tolerable is that gum you speak of? And by the the way -- quitting via gum chewing is not exactly what I had in mind when you actually become addicted to the gum. The whole point is that the gum is a much lesser desirable. Please do try to [at least slightly] curb your enthusiasm when it comes to this coffee substitute.