February 15, 2006

Single Awareness Day

Yesterday, I wasn't SAD at all. I was aware of my single status more than usual, but in the most positive way.

The day began with a flurry of texts to my single friends to wish them: "Happy Single Awareness Day!" Some of them texted back, others called.
My mother sent me a lovely floral assortment with a note that read:
"To my dearest daughter,
You will be my Valentine forever.
Love, Mama"
Incidentally she orderd it right after she received her bouquet in a BIG envelope--nifty 1-800-Flowers packaging!

I met Gary, Special K, Rani, Karen, and Tommy for dinner at Otto in the Village. We drank bottles of wine, shared a cheese plate and desserts. Pasta and pizza around the table. Karen departed shortly thereafter given her non-single status. The rest of us ventured on to Decibel. I appreciate the nooks and crannies of NYC. The hidden gems and underground hideaways. This cavernous space reminds me of a den in Tokyo--though I've never been to the city, it is very much what I envision slices of it to be like. As we departed, lychee martinis and boxes of tomakagen in our satiated bellies, Rani texted me "Had an awesome time. ur friends are great." That compliment superseded the times people have acknowledged my stellar taste in boyfriends. Something about one friend liking another while you play catalyst in lieu of buffer is high praise--especially on Single Awareness Day.

Special K and I trudged into our building and I was greeted with a large box by the doorman. Norman had sent me a dozen red roses with a note that read: "To the best friend anyone could hope for (and that I have!). Didn't want to break your streak. Love :) Norman" There was an adorable brown teddy bear with requisite red bow wrapped in cellophane, which I promptly ripped from what would have been his suffocating face were he a live bear. Norman once gave me a bright green teddy bear in high school. This bear reminded me of that bear, but showed me how his taste had evolved--maturing from the eclectic to the sophisticated. He's always been a great friend. In that moment I appreciated that fact with an intensity and depth I had lost since high school. It was the perfect end to a perfect day!

I was aware that I had friends. Good friends at that.
Aware that I had a mother who loves me, more than life itself.
Aware that I live in the greatest city in the world--for me.
Aware that I had a great job which I truly enjoy--a true feat for me.
Thankful that this year I'm single and aware of truly how miserable I was last year when I was with someone--heck someone I loved.

I didn't spend a minute harping on the possibility of more. I think I spend so much of my life looking forward and looking back, yesterday was one of the few times I didn't look past the moment.
I hope to do that more this year. That's my fervent wish for me...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

happy singles awareness!

sorry didn't respond yesterday... tooooo busy, and then realized had forgotten to get heron's vday present (after bitching to him about his total lack of holiday spirit)...