March 13, 2006

3/10-12

This weekend was an exercise in single self-renewal...particularly Saturday.

Friday
Rosie joined me at Knit NY to pick out yarn for a hat I will soon have completed for her. I got my bubble tea fix and hopped the bus across town to meet Tommy. He had comped tickets for the Capoeira show at The Joyce Theater. It was a show rich in sinuous movements by rippling, tanned bodies exuding a youth and vigor Brazil is positively stereotyped of possessing. Following the show, we meant to drink ourselves silly at Earth NYC again, but in lieu of repeating last weekend we left after two free drinks a pop. Complimentary vodka bar or not, that many Indians in one bar is just too much for me plus the fear of running into fedora from last weekend was too high. I meant to call him back, but the inclination to hit send on my phone wasn't high enough. Got home right around midnight. Played with Luckey, knitted for a bit, and went promptly to bed.

Saturday
Called Shiv for our planned brunch, but he was in a stupor with guests sprawled over his apartment, sleeping off Friday night. We talked for 45 minutes and he promised we were ON for Sunday. Ah, bankers!
I mosied over to Yoga at Laughing Lotus having missed the first class in the Beginner series (given my killer hangover last week), I was nervous. Ran into Tommy and Danny (his eventual brother-in-law) at Modell's as I was purchasing my yoga mat...we meant to have some Jamba Juice, but the line (15 people, no exaggeration) and lateness of the hour given my 3pm class in Flatiron ruined my chances.
Yoga was fine. Being late to yoga is a mistake I will not make again. In the packed class, people are not quick to move their mats and make room for a brown girl fresh off the Upper East Side. Given my heritage, I was not outstanding. But the constant encouragement and soothing tones the yogini bestowed upon me, ballooned within to form an instant love for this meditative state with health benefits.
I ambled up to 42nd Street and joined the long line of Jamba Juice drinkers. My Aloha Pineapple is not what I'd expected though I continue to marvel at how much 16 oz. can fill me.
Luckey was thrilled to see me, but I didn't take him for the walk I've wanted to...collapsing instead before my TV. Nothing was on and Kama Sutra went un-watched--so glad I downgraded to ONE rental on Netflix! I made some guacamole--from scratch--ate and slept the evening away.

Sunday
I woke up at 10am refreshed...having spent 15 hours in a lounging state of affairs, I was ready for brunch. Shiv called as planned and I made my way to Chelsea only to be told that he had encountered a "work emergency"--a brief tour of his glorious apartment and a quick cab ride uptown was all my old friend could offer me. How old we've grown? His profuse apologies were unfounded, but I was happy to see him living his dream. I hadn't caught him on a good day--but I know this is what he wanted five years ago--to see him get it is the joy only a friend can show.
I joined Lauren, Tauren, Summer, and a married couple for the Whitney Biennial. It was sub-par to say the least...but my favorite piece is housed in this museum's permanent collection--Georgia O'Keefe's Summer Days (which I have fondly nicknamed "Afterlife"). I also enjoy the Hopper collection on dispaly on the top floor.
Lauren stopped by to meet Luckey. He quickly won her over with his fear of all things reflective, leaning cautiously near mirrors and my shiny, black outdoor grill.
Jo and Evan joined Luckey and I for a fine dinner of plum tomatoes with guacomole and goat cheese, mushroom and cheese quesadillas, and vegetarian lasagne. The strawberries and cannolis they brought were an apt closing. Evan's broccoli allergy didn't act up--worried as I was for his health and well-being. Luckey was the proud recipient of a purple, stuffed bunny; cheese-flavored bone, and a long-handled toothbrush. We had a lovely evening playing with the pet, flipping through my puppy book and discussing the merits of frienemies. I loaned them Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle since their lives had thus far been deprived of this joy.
After they left, Luckey and I watched Grey's Anatomy and I finished reading Collages by Anais Nin. I can't get enough of her. Onto Little Birds this morning for my subway ride to the financial district.

So another weekend wraps...this week is choc-ful of tea, puppy obedience school, dinner with Dino and Taurean, Knitting with Carrie, and some St. Patty's Day debauchery.

Incidentally, here is the update on my Post date: New Photo!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what are frienemies?

Anonymous said...

your picture in the Post article looked really good. You both were way too nice in your feedback about one another -- it's too bad you can't really say all the stuff you wanna say -- I guess they have to keep it really tactful and on-the-surface. That's too bad -- it would be fun to read the REAL impressions.

Sweet & Vicious said...

Frienemies--a term coined on Sex and the City--are people who are in your friend circle that you really DO NOT like, but by virtue of sharing mutual friends you tolerate on a friendly level.