March 10, 2006

BFF

I had dinner with Dino and Taurean at Southwest NY last night. I haven't seen Dino in nearly a year, but when I did see him--it was as if time has not passed at all. We had no news to exchange, though so much has changed. He's perm at his temp job...I'm a the German Bank. The girlfriend of his roomie is as crazy as ever and my roomie is shooting movies in India.

What hasn't changed is that we are both single and till there is something new to report on that front the consistent hello goes like this:
"Where have you been darling?"
"Missing you, my dear. Working hard?"
"Working smart. I miss you more."
"What's new?"
"Not much. You?"
"Same old."
"I'm so happy to see you."
"I'm so glad we're doing this."
"We have to stop putting so much time and space between us."
"Word!"

Don't even ask about the goodbyes, they are longer and far more frivolous than the hello. Taurean humors us. We share inappropriate deatils of our private lives, no judgements. But the frenetic bouts of laugher are sobered by Tauren's sage advice--he's always teling us, slackers, to shape up. Inspiration is his gift.

Dino and I are like children on daddy's day off. We oogle other people's food, order $6 juice, and snicker as Taurean rambles about deep, thought-provoking issues that bring us to maturity.

Later, as we stand shoulder to shoulder (admittedly, I'm at chest level at best on those two)--I can't believe how far we've come. Just five years ago we were sitting on M-level shirking our responsibility at our second fit of Organic Chemistry. We were the future doctors of America then...who are we now? I venture to say we still don't know but I like to think we are a lot farther along.

No comments: