April 3, 2006

Dr. Aidan

On Friday night, Rani brought out a few of her med student friends. Among them was Dr. Aidan who I began chatting up at the mention of matching at a Psychiatry residency at a Harvard affiliate in Beantown. While I hadn't instantly gravitated towards him, his openness and willingness to listen (go figure!) really got me intellecutualizing. I found myself rambling about the nuances between psychologists (the bastard cousin or psychiatrists) and psychiatrists. He had firm ideas on the "medicine" of psychiatry coupling with talk therapy to idealistically aid the patient into a cycle of wellness. He also believed that psychologists, unlike psychiatrists were quacks, to which I took personal offense and launched on a crusade which he crushed with his sweet demeanor and understanding tones.

I liked his ethics: "If the patient is functioning, (s)he has no need for me. I don't want that patient coming to me. I'm here to help those people whose functioning has been impaired." A noble stand. Likewise, his humility whilst narrating stories that showcased patient trauma without maligning them with bravado resembling a messiah complex had me a tingle.

After some time, it became apparent that Dr. Aidan and I had more than a cerebral connection. It was sweet how he took to sitting by me and coaxing me away from the group at large. He has my number, now we just have to see if he calls...

Tommy and Special K have dubbed him Clark Kent for his bespectacled yet polished physique with a healthy dose of bumbling.

No comments: