June 14, 2006

Are you being punished?

In an effort to ensure the seamless delivery of my afternoon class, I dragged a chair out of the nearest conference room and hunkered down in front of the lobby doors on the 11th floor.

As I sat there, patiently waiting--clad in all black office wear with requisite croc-skin stillettoes--every man that had an ID and admitted himself to the floor had a remark for me.

Here are my favorites:
"That's a weird place to sit."
"Do you need to see my ID?"
"You're not convincing as security."
"We don't have a reception."
"That chair doesn't belong in this hallway."
"Are you being punished?"
One guy flashed me his ID as he walked by without acknowledging me verbally.
One guy caught me on the way in and out...so he asked, "Get any business yet?" (this made me feel oddly like a hooker...especially when I chirped "Two down, two to go")

But it really got me thinking--if I sat here all day what kinds of things would I hear. Was I being punished? How many people find their daily jobs punishing?

(If you've never been to an investment bank or a college dorm in a major city--not sure if this is a global trend or just region-specific to the US--every floor requires you to swipe or place your ID against a card reader to permit you admission to that level in an effort to maximize security. Some floors at the bank are even restricted to employees due to the nature of business that takes place there--top secret/classified/confidential)

No comments: