June 20, 2006

Best in Class

The biggest problem with being the best player in the league--other than it being a beginner's league and thus discounting any kudos--is that the instructor instructs others to watch your swing, mimic your footwork, and emulate your grace on the court.

While I'm all for this level of attention and adulation, I'm quickly discovering that I also suffer from a mild case of performance anxiety--at least that's how I'm explaning why the ball fails to go over the net when everyone watches with baited breath. Boo.

It must be said that tennis is a sport rich with poise and dripping with grace--when played right of course--a part of me couldn't help lusting for the instructor just watching his perfect swing and optimal ball placement. He's a short guy with a heavy foreign accent--pretty much the antithesis of my type...but watching him play, hubba hubba hello!

No comments: