August 31, 2006

Cafe Rafaella

I met an old high school friend for coffee yesterday afternoon. He's doing well--recently quit another publishing job to follow his passion and WRITE. He finished ghost writing a novel and currently writes book reviews at $2/word! Isn't that A LOT? So he gets paid to read new books and meet the people that wrote them. How cool is that?

Incidentally, he is also Lauren's ex boyfriend from late high school through college and into the New York years. I'd introduced them to one another and set them up on their firt date to a school formal. They've both moved on--living with their new significant others in separate cities--still friends. That's functional. I guess there was about five minutes where that was the case for V and I too--but I haven't gotten to that place since the last one and any faith I have that I will dwindles when I think about him...

It's so good to see someone who was part of the fabric of your youth and has flowered into a happy, healthy adult independent of your influence. We shaped one another, albeit peripherally, and it's comforting and happiness-inducing to know that we can always pick up where we left off--because the years keep rolling by but our mutual affection for the others well-being grows without watering.

No comments: