December 25, 2006

Merry Christmas~

The family went to midnight mass today. It was a service that reminded me how much I love Catholic service and awakened my latent desire to go more frequently. I know better than to make this a New Year's resolution, but I do miss church.

I grew up in the Syrian Orthodox tradition as I mentioned months ago, but my upbringing was laced in Catholicism (having attended a Convent primary school in India run by strict but fair nuns). There is a peace that comes over me after I go through the ritual that is mass. Knowing the hymns, responses, and times to kneel fulfills within my cultural framework the need for collective belonging. I also love the smell of incense and the whine of an organ as a novice choir tries to sing over it. I revel in being in a cathedral--the meditative value of those high cielings is even higher in a privacy-lacking nation like India. I feel a sense of absolution, no matter how misplaced, after I leave a novena. The chanting quality of sing-song delivery by priests whose completely grey hair reminds me of my grandfather seals the deal.

It's not church I miss. It's the innocence of my youth. It's India. It's my grandfather. It's nostalgia.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

merry xmas! what did you get? what did you get your BOYFRIEND??

Sweet & Vicious said...

I got the bf a set of cuff links with original watch insides that he'd eyed on our walk to the tree in Rockefeller Center a few weeks ago...it was more of an impromptu gift than a Christmas gift.
My real gift is that I plan to keep seeing him in '07 and I'm NOT pregnant =) yay!

I'm not sure he got me anything since when he asked I said the thing I wanted most was him and he was not in a position to appear at my doorstep wearing nothing but a bow. Sniff.